WEBSITES AND READING MATERIAL
Some Helpful Websites & Reading Material
Northrup, Christiane. “The Wisdom of Menopause.” Bantam Books, 2003.
Northrup, Christiane. “Women’s Bodies,” “Women’s Wisdom.” Bantam Books, 2002.
A comprehensive book exploring women’s health issues about the mind-body connection. An excellent reference for women of all ages interested in combining contemporary medicine with natural remedies. Dr. Northrup is the co-founder of Women to Women Healthcare Center in Yarmouth, Maine.
Somers, Suzanne. “The Sexy Years.” Crown Publishers, 2004.
This book describes Susanne Somers journey through menopause with the use of Bio-Equivalent Hormones. A must-read for women considering Bio-equivalent hormone replacement.
Hotze, Steven F. “Hormones, Health, and Happiness” Forrest Publishing, 2005.
Brizendine, Louann. “The Female Brain.” Broadway Books, 2006.
Resources for HRT information
These organizations and articles have helpful and comprehensive information about HRT and women’s health.
American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M)
American Academy of Family Physicians
Your Disease Risk Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Osteoporosis, and Stroke
Patient Information on the Latest Medical Research
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
American Medical Association (AMA) – the endocrine system
The Hormone Foundation
Medscape from WebMD (registration required but free):
- “Individualizing Hormone Therapy: Principles and Practice” by Morris Notelovitz, MD, Ph.D. (2001)
- “Menopause Management for the Millennium” by Rogerio A. Lobo, MD
- “Why Individualizing Hormone Therapy Is Crucial: Putting the Results of the WHI Trial Into Perspective” by Morris Notelovitz, MD, Ph.D. (2002)
- “Be Careful of What You Wish For: Putting the WHI Estrogen/progestin and HERS II Trials in Perspective” by John F. Randolph, Jr, MD (2002)
- “Straight Talk on HRT: Benefits and Limitations” by Charles B. Hammond, MD; Robert A. Wild, MD, MPH; and James V. Fiorica, MD (2000)
- “An Evidence-based Evaluation of the Benefits and Risks of HRT” by Charles B. Hammond, MD
- “Hormone Replacement Therapy and Cardiovascular Disease” by Robert A. Wild, MD, MPH
- “The Health Impact of HRT on the Breast” by James V. Fiorica, MD
National Institute on Aging (NIA)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
NIH Resources for the Public
from National Institutes of Health
Newsletters and postings about a wide variety of health-related topics are available at:
Research highlights, including recent disease-specific advances:
NIH: National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences
Videos and postings about rare diseases:
Massive library of video and resources about diverse topics such as therapeutic options and finding a specialist